Saint Anne Catholic Community has a position available for a director of music.
Reports to: Fr. Al Sinasac, C.S.B - Pastor
Schedule: Sun. 6-1, Mon. 1-9, Tue., 11-5, Wed. 1-9, Thu. 1-9, and Sat 4-7. Minimum of 40 hours is standard but the schedule does vary according to the seasonal cycles of the Church.
Summary: Lead the parish in all its liturgical musical needs.
Saint Anne Catholic Community:
One of the oldest and largest churches in the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, Saint Anne Catholic Community has been providing spiritual leadership and guidance to the Upper Kirby, River Oaks, and Montrose areas within Houston since 1924. The Parish, under the direction of the Basilian Fathers, offers PK–8 education at St. Anne Catholic School and a large array of religious formation for parishioners.
Saint Anne parishioners represent a very diverse cross-section of the Houston population and the church has a well-developed music program.
Duties and Responsibilities (note – other duties may be assigned on an as needed basis):
· Selects appropriate hymns, Psalms, anthems and other liturgical music for all English weekend liturgies based on the readings, cycle, and/or feast of the season/day
· Leads rehearsals for the Adult choir, Handbell choir, Children’s Choir(s) and other Ensembles
· Oversees the Music staff by setting schedules, approving time cards, and having regular staff meetings.
· Works with cantors each week in liturgical preparation and leads an annual cantor workshop.
· Orchestrates anthems, hymns, and other liturgical music for strings, trumpets, flute, oboe, harp, handbells, organ, and other instruments as needed.
· Oversees the Music Department budget.
· Contracts outside musicians for special liturgical celebrations.
· Organist or choir director for several weekend Masses and all major festal liturgies
· Organist for funerals
· Recruits and works with volunteer instrumentalist.
· Rehearses as needed with contracted professional instrumentalists.
· Assigns solos and choir sectional rehearsal duties to staff musicians.
· Prepares two choir retreats/clinics per year.
· Weddings and wedding workshops with engaged couples
· Writes appropriate articles on music ministry for the church bulletin both for recruitment and parish formational purposes (e.g. why the psalm is always sung, etc.).
· Member of the Parish Steering Committee.
Education and Experience:
· Master of Music is preferred with a background in organ and choral conducting.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and Publisher.
· Experience in orchestration with facility using music writing software.
· Experience with Google docs and Google calendar is a plus.
A high level of organization and interpersonal skill is required. Attention to detail is essential.
Language and Communication Skills:
Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, is required.
The salary of the Director of Music will be commensurate with the individual’s education, skills, and experience.
· Medical, dental, short-term disability, long-term disability, basic life insurance (up to $50K), and AD&D paid by employer. Vision and supplemental life insurance are also available to the employee at a cost.
· Four weeks of vacation after a year. Nine sick days, three personal days, and one birthday holiday per year.
· Pension plan (partially vested after three years and fully vested after seven years). The employee can also participate in a 403b plan with Fidelity or Valic.